Go nuts for matcha donuts! 🍵💚🍩 These Yum Matcha™ cake donuts give a sweet finish to any balanced breakfast! The batter is 100% sugar-free, and the donuts are baked not fried, so you can enjoy less sugar and fewer calories than similar products you’ll find at the store or donut shop!
Ingredients (Yields 6 donuts)
- ¾ cup cake flour OR ¾ cup flour + 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tbsp. SweetenFX™ (for baking)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Yum Matcha™ packet (any flavor — we used strawberry basil)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup melted chocolate
- Sprinkles (opt.)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (~177ºC).
- Use a whisk to combine cake flour, SweetenFX™, baking powder, sea salt, and Yum Matcha™ in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Note: If using flour + corn starch, use a whisk to combine these first, then add other ingredients.
- Add egg, milk, unsalted butter, and honey. Whisk thoroughly until the batter is sticky and dough-like.
- Funnel batter into a pastry bag. Coat donut pan with a non-stick cooking spray, and fill each mold about ¾ of the way with batter.
- Note: If you don’t have a pastry bag, funnel batter into a zipper bag and cut one of the bottom corners off.
- Bake at 350ºF for 10-15 min. Dough should be lightly browned and cake-like. To check doneness, insert a skewer or toothpick into one donut — if it comes out clean, they are done. Let the pan cool down, then set donuts on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a microwave to melt chocolate in a heat-resistant dish. Spoon desired amount around the top edge of each donut. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Let chocolate cool (may not be entirely hardened, depending on what type of chocolate you use).
- Best to eat on the same day, but can be refrigerated to make last longer.
Note: Baked donuts are spongier and more cake-like than fried donuts. But even though the texture may be different from what your used to, the taste is delicious!