Waffles are a beloved breakfast staple on tables around the world in many different forms. In the United States, we know them as crispy pillows of geometric delight drowned in butter and maple syrup. Okay, not the most appetizing description, and you’ll probably get a few odd looks if you use those words to order at your local diner. But no matter how you order your waffles, there’s no time to eat them quite like National Waffle Day!
National Waffle Day falls on August 24th each year to honor the anniversary of the first waffle iron patent. Can you believe the waffle iron is now 151 years old? And honestly, comparing the original patent to modern waffle irons suggests they haven’t aged much!
Yum Matcha™ knows how important your morning routine is, especially when it comes to breakfast. We’ve dedicated entire blog posts and recipes to some of our craftiest creations for magnificent morning meals! That’s why we’ve done the unthinkable…we’ve combined the two! That’s right, a blog post and a recipe all in one!
If you don’t have a waffle iron that you can try this recipe at home, the batter can also be used to make pancakes on a flat griddle. Although, you may want to save that for the ever-changing National Pancake Day!
“We need to remember what’s important in life:
friends, waffles, work.
Or waffles, friends, work.
Doesn’t matter, but work is third.”Leslie Knope
This recipe is for one waffle, but can easily be doubled or tripled. The waffles can also be made by substituting flour, milk, and egg for their gluten- and animal-free alternatives.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 packet Yum Matcha™ (use two for a more vibrant green color)
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tbsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix (lots of mixing!).
- Scoop some of the waffle mix onto the center of the waffle iron — be careful not to add too much, or the batter will leak out the sides and make a mess!
- Cook until the outside appears crispy, and the waffle iron opens cleanly (without batter sticking to it).
- Plate and serve with your favorite toppings! We recommend the classic butter and syrup, or whipped cream and strawberries with a honey drizzle!
And that, as the saying goes, is it! Now you’re free to enjoy your waffles and a hot cup of cof– I mean, matcha!
But some of you may be saying “Ugh, I would love to make waffles like that, but I just don’t have the ability to make waffles from scratch!” Well, prepare to turn the dial on your day from good to great!
Our sister company Nature’s Flavors has a variety of gluten-free baking mixes, including waffle and pancake mixes! Our mixes come made-to-order with either cane sugar or sugar-free with our SweetenFX™ (the same sweetener behind Yum Matcha™)!
We even made a video showing you how to use our For Linda™ Waffle Mix on our Instagram! Follow us @yummatcha for the latest blog posts, recipe videos, matcha photos, and more!